Monday, February 02, 2009

Eirik at 2 years 10 months

My sweet husband was a little ashamed of my antagonism in my last post about Eirik. I do feel bad about baring my frustrations to the world. I told Paul that I was planning to post about all the great stuff about Eirik next and he said, "well, do it quick.. " so, here it is.

I love collecting these little bits of things Eirik says because he always sideswipes me with how clever and attentive he is.

(on a day when he had a runny nose.)
"I think there are ants eating my nose. They smell food so they are eating my nose."

Eirik's first poem:
"I know,
Roses are red
That is my bed
and this is my head!" Jan 28-09

"Dad, go away, if you don't I don't care, I'll stick you in my underwear."

"I was in the fridge and the food was talking to me and it told me to eat this (zis)." (cream cheese)

"You can call me Rockstar."

Mom: "Eirik, What are you doing?"
Eirik: "I'm on a magic carpet for a rock star. I'm never coming out."

"Play with me mom, it's your job!"

One night I made barbecue chicken, honey baked beans and cornbread. Most of you know how hard it is to get Eirik to eat anything so when he said, "Mom, your a good cooker!" it totally made my night. To top it off, the next thing he said was, "Dad, will you teach me to low board tomorrow?" Dad: "you mean snowboard?" Eirik: "Yeah, skateboard on snow?"
For me and Paul, that was one of the best nights of our lives. :)

"Sometimes I'm the bad guy and I don't say my prayers."

The monsters are not in my head, they are just in my bedroom."

"Come in my jeep. When you push all these buttons (lots of sound effects) it turns into a DINOBOT!"

Eirik told me today that he needs a hovercraft and asked where he could get one.
"I can't go exploring without my headlamp."

"Did you know horses are better than cars? They don't need gas."

"mom, I totally don't want to take a nap!"

Eirik was convinced for all of December that Land Before Time was "Land Before Island". We tried to correct him a lot, and finally one day he said, "Everyone is saying it WRONG! It's Land before ISLAND! Say it with me .. LAND BEFORE ISLAND!"
When we came home from Utah, Eirik said, "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! Grandma and Grandpa have a basement. We need to buy a basement mom!"

Eirik keeps talking about his little sisters (plural! ahh) He named one of them Jolie Ann. I told her that we are planning to name our next daughter Juniper Gayle. He said, "ok, and the next girl will be Jolie Ann. We were at the dollar store later that day and he saw these hair bows that he liked. He said, "mom, when Juniper Gayle and Jolie Ann come, I will buy them these presents."
At a truck stop on the way to Michigan there were archade games. Eirik said, "dad, do you have some money?" I could see how that moment was just the beginning. It reminded me of how at 1 1/2 years old Eirik demanded that we got to the mall and asked if we had any gum. (how did he know what gum was?) And that story remind me about 2 months ago we were in Cleveland by the college campus. Eirik saw a group of girls jogging in sports bras and short shorts. He said, "why are those girlas (that's how he says girls) in their swimsuits?" I said, "they are exercising." he said, I think those princesses are beautiful." (Yikes, should we be a little bit worried?)

Tonight I taught Eirik how to put olives on his fingers. He thought it was so fun he said, "Mom, I love olive fingers. Thanks for teaching me this. " Then we gave them names and did a little puppet show with them. When we were down to the last 2 olives, I dramtically ate mine and Eirik's little bottom lip quivered, then stuck out in the saddest most heartbroken sob. He was so sad that I had eaten Olivia!

When I am cold he loves to blow his warm breath on me to warm me up. He also likes to use his hands as a hat on my head to keep me warm outside.

He is a great helper, so thoughtful, and kind. He loves to do things by himself.

The other day he said, "mom, I brought you these flowers so that I could make your day."
and the best is when he says, "do you know I love you?"

He is a delight, and I'm sorry for my tirade on him last week. I'm just learning to ride his roller coaster and enjoy the fun instead of getting sick. :)

I want to end this post with this great quote about motherhood.

Julie B. Beck, Relief Society general president: "I have a testimony gained from pondering and studying the scriptures of a plan of happiness given to us by our Father in Heaven. That plan has a part for His daughters. We have the female half to take care of, and if we don't do our part, no one else is going to do it for us. The half of our Father's plan that creates life, that nurtures souls, that promotes growth, that influences everything else was given to us. We can't delegate it. We can't pass it off to anyone. It's ours. We can refuse it, we can deny it, but it's still our part, and we're accountable for it. There will come a day when we will all remember what we knew before we were born. We will remember that we fought in a great conflict for this privilege. How do we meet this responsibility? We daily put our energies into the work that is uniquely ours to do."



5 comments:

Mary said...

Love the quoute from Sis. Beck. Eiriks awesome! What a fun kid to be around. Both your kids. Its nice to be reminded that I am doing my part! What's happening with the match? are you staying in michigan?

Matt and Julia said...

Melody! That was was SUCH a fun read! Thanks, those kids have adorable personalities! (must come from you two!)

Amy Evans said...

Melody- great quote, and so great to hear the funny things Eirik is saying. Thanks so much for the blanket!
Amy
Makayla says " I loove youu for evverrr." (you have to sing it- like her- which doesn't necessarily have a tune.- but it's still lovely :))

The Posse said...

He seriously cracks me up... what a funny kid.

Oh, and by the way, Derek and I have a long-standing joke about how our car is starting to sound like it's turning into a hovercraft, so we'd be willing to give it to Eirik as a hand-me-down if he's a very good boy... ;)

Ashley said...

FYI, I'm getting on your blog tonight to pick up that quote at the end of this post. I'm using it tomorrow in my YW lesson, so thanks! I love it and it's stuck with me. I would crossstich it into a pillow or something if it weren't so long :) But I was thinking of putting a little sign on my fridge or mirror that says "Uniquely Mine To Do" so I feel a little more fulfilled in the day to day grind of being a mommy. Love you, girl.