Saturday, May 29, 2010

Baby name help

I was telling our OB our dilema with choosing a name for the baby. I told him that we really would like to pick another somewhat unusual name since Eirik and Joren are not typical and it seems weird to throw a common name at the third boy. We also want it to sound good with Eirik and Joren, so a norwegian sounding name is appropriate. It also can't be too close to Eirik, Joren or Tor Bjorn (the dog). As I was leaving the visit he came to the waiting room and said, "Hey, how about Torin?" I thought that was very funny because I Love the name Torin and I keep thinking of that name, but.. hello I have a Joren and a Tor. I can't name a baby Torin. I do feel like we have painted ourselves into a bit of a corner and I have spent HOURS obsessing about what to name #3. His middle name will be David. For a while we have been trying out the name Liam. Liam David sounds really good to me. Then I looked it up and it's the 4th most popular name in Canada and parts of Europe. So, I think that's out. Also, Paul only likes names that sound really strong like a warrior name so Liam sounds almost too breathy for him. He liked Lars for a while, but I'm not crazy about it. I think he's over it.
Anyway. It's been tough.

So here are the names we have considered over the months.. some more seriously than others.
If you would be willing to tell us your favorite and maybe least favorite- maybe top five, I would be so grateful. We are glad we listened when we almost named our first born Tor Bjorn. It's a much better name for a dog. So, we do like your opinions. We want it to be different, but we don't want everyone to hate it. ;)

Terje David (means Thor's spear)
Osten David (family name X2)
Anders David (family name x 2)
Teague David
Arden
Esben
Eason
Dieter
Breckin
Sten- means stone
Eldon
Elam (I think this is my favorite, but some of our best friends just named their kid that and it's totally their family name and we have sort of been their shadow lately and I would feel sort of lame taking their kids name too.) bummer.
Xsten- (family name) could be spelled Eksten
Rowan (although Joren and Rowan are pretty hard to tell apart)
Alec (although Eirik and Alec are too close)
Tyrus (Ty for short)

Paul likes: Hawkin, Ragnar, Sigurd
I still like Atlas, Aksel and Beau, but Paul will never go for these.

Feedback feedback feedback .. please! Let me hear your ideas!

16 comments:

Jennie said...

Anders, Eksten and Brody are my favs. I like Anders the best though! Good luck. It was tough deciding on Ambree's name and that wasn't until right before she was born. At least you have a middle name already! We couldn't decide (agree on one) forever!

rebecca said...

So, I still like Liam:) When you first told me that name in an e-mail I thought of Liam Neeson and how strong he is:) I think it sounds like a very strong name:) I've always liked Teague. I've only known 1 Teague in my life so that's pretty original:)

Natalie said...

Melody,

What about Gunnar, Hans, Sven, Max or Neils? Our family is Scandenavian and those are a few that run in our line that Scott and I really like. Good luck, w/our 3rd boy on the way in 7 weeks I have no clue what to name the child--you'll see a similar post on my blog :)

Juliana said...

I like Anders quite a bit as well! When our baby was born a month ago, we ended up choosing a name that Josh hated at first (Eden). We just agreed not to decide until we saw her and got a feel for who she was in "real life." She was going to be Elizabeth but just didn't LOOK like an Elizabeth--but she makes a great Eden Sophia. :)

Good luck with your decision!

Sarah Romer said...

Oh, the name game. Miles didn't have a name for almost two weeks after he was born! What do you think about the name Anson? I heard it once and really liked it, and I think it goes well with Eirik and Joren, and even sounds good with David (I think). So there you go. Problem solved! (ha ha....don't you wish it was that easy?)

Katie said...

hi Mel,
I love (i think in this order):Rowan, Anders, Osten, Hawkin, and Eldon. I also like the name Garion David Aanderud. Aiden or Iden. Teague is good too.

MomaLaw said...

I like Anders, Garion, Sven and Aiden. What do they mean?

Dad likes Anders, Teague and Liam

Good Luck With it and we will keep our eyes open for you

Melody said...

Cool! Your comments are so helpful! Thank you!

Tif Sweeney said...

First of all, you look fabulous! I forgot to comment on the other post.

Now, names . . . Love Anders!! That one is definitely my fave. I also like Liam, Rowan, and Osten. Can't wait to hear what you decide!!

Mary said...

Congrats on baby #3 and baby boy #3! My close friend here has three boys....its loads of fun and excitement at her house.(honestly) You look Fab. As for names...Anders, Rowan (have liked this name for a long time) Teague and Liam. Some of the others, I wasn't even sure how to prounounce. Good luck!

Syd said...

Jordan was sooo hard for us to name. It's crazy, isn't it. How are you Mel? I miss you. Sorry I never comment or email, Sara wants to be held all the time and it's hard to type with one hand (she is asleep right now and I should be in the shower...) You are awesome. Hmm, I love Anders, Elam, Tyrus, Hawkin...have you guys read the books Wolfskin and Foxmask? I just finished Wolfskin, there is an Eirik in there. :) I also like Brann or Lir (lear)... Maddy has a Breckin in her class at school, she also has a Bracken. Poor teacher. Good Luck, I know he will be adorable...you two make cute babies!! :)

Natalie said...

I like Osten...... original, without being weird. I know lots of Anders lately.....

Sarah Anne said...

I'm way too opinionated when it comes to names, so if you want to just skip my comment, I'll understand.
Here are my initial thoughts: Choosing a "trendy" name, even if the spelling is different I don't think would fit w/ the others boys' names. So that would take Osten, Breckin, Liam, and Alec off the list (don't get me started on all the derivitives of Alex)
Also, the name should be easy to pronounce just when looking at it, like your other names. So the poor child doesn't suffer every time a substitute comes and reads his name off the roll.
Some of the choices you listed don't sound masculine enough and might get gender confused (the name, not the child) Arden, Esben, Elam (although it is "male" spelled backwards)

I love the names Anders and Teague.

As for the really out there names, I think it would be great to continue getting pets and using those names for them.
Told you I was opinionated. Hope it helps. Can't wait to hear what you choose. No matter what, the name you choose will be perfect because it will be one w/ meaning and thought.

Ashley said...

Boo, I still love the name Liam. Really, are you ever going to live in Canada or Europe? Tyrus, Eldon, Breckin. Elam would be perfect, hmm.. I do like Anders, but don't know about Anders Aanderud. Maybe people would think you were just making darn sure he'd be at the top of any alphabetical list :) Tell Paul sorry, but I don't know if I can get on board with Ragnar. PS, what's your week like next week?!?

Ashley said...

Ha ha, I just saw your friend, Sarah's comment. Anson. I love it! I have a friend named David Anson! So Anson David just sounds right :)

Jena said...

Melody, that is too tricky. Cedric means warrior. I almost named Johnny that (not really, Brian wouldn't go for it.) I like Liam. I knew a boy named Anson. Kids always called him "Antson your pants" get it? ants in your pants. Ha. So kind. Whatever you name him, it will be perfect.