Sunday, April 12, 2009

A few wants.. not many needs




While my sister was in town we talked a lot about the subject of wants and needs. We decided that when children feel that their wants and needs are valid and ok they get a solid sense of confidence that the world is ok, they are ok and I think it breeds a sense of hope that they will have their wants and needs met. Not every child gets this luxury. In fact it's a pretty rare thing in our world. And to think that we can allow ourselves to WANT luxurious, fabulous, outrageous things, and have that be ok, is a big step for a lot of people. It has been for me at least.
I owe my friend Emily a big credit for opening my eyes when I was in college to believe I could want and yearn for and try to achieve awesome things. She just posted a great post about WANTS. She's always inspiring me like this. She put up a challenge to make a list of wants. Doing this helps us discover more about our motivations and the yearnings of our souls, which I think we all need to explore. If we don't allow ourselves that, we are burying our talents.. right? I would love to see your lists.
I want:
to stop worrying about food storage
SPRING ... PLEASE !! Enough cold already!
to get a solid footing between the conservative/liberal lifestyle where I always seem to be vacillating
to cook and eat all day long- especially creamy soups
to not cook anything this week
no more dishes
to be able to buy clothing and not feel guilty and think about taking it back for the next 2 months
to watch 30 Rock and eat hummus and carrot sticks for 6 hours straight
to take all my childrens' toy weapons and throw them in the dumpster- but then they would just use forks and chopsticks and sticks and more dangerous things that plastic swords and they would cry and scream and be so sad...
I want a baby girl
a vacation at Lake Powell with my family
my toilets to stop running
green earings to go with my awesome new summer shoes
A Playroom!
A fenced yard!
botox
herbs in my pots for cooking all summer
a tan
Joren to learn to say Mommy
to have a clue what to give our parents for their birthdays
palm trees
Joren to STOP insisting on playing in the toilets and trash cans!
for Paul to get whatever he wants
to someday in my life, possibly before I die, learn to go to bed before midnight
our two old cars to last 4 more years

Down the road:
to renovate houses and make them amazing
to do home makeovers for deserving families out of my own budget
to be a DESIGN STAR contestant
an old red or apple green Chevy pickup truck with renovated interior and engine
a little Spanish Hacienda with an atruim and a studio
a little land for chickens and a great garden and an amazing play structure
my best girlfriends on the same block
Did I already say palm trees?

And just for fun, here are some houses and rooms I'm loving lately.
(They aren't a lot to ask for right? JK)






3 comments:

Juliana said...

Hey, I totally loved this blog post!! I think that's a great idea to dream big and give yourself permission to WANT things extravagent. I think I need to go make a list now!

Eugie said...

I love 30 rock!!!

Emily S. said...

i am SO late to this post! I hate me. LOL!

Mmm... Apple Green Vintage Chevy Truck.... LOVE it!!!!

Loved it all. You are so amazing. Let's stay friends. :)