My husband and I laid down on the couch together today and relaxed for the first time in .. I can't tell you how long.. I finally have my husband back!!
This last week has been.. I'll be honest.. just hell. On Friday morning the day of his last final, I could feel the excruciating pain as Paul woke up after only a few hours of sleep and went over the last 50 pages of notes of the 600-700 that he went through for that test (all on Thursday!) He said his brain felt like lead. The stress of the past few weeks has just pervaded the house. Other wives can separate, but I feel stressed while Paul is stressed and we are both sighing big sighs of relief today. It is such a great feeling to be able to cross that last final off the calendar and know he made it!! He stuck it out and we are almost through these first two years. I don't know how he's done it! I'm so proud of him!!
Although.... he keeps asking me not to talk about the end drawing near because he has to stay focused. Boards are just two weeks away.. so the stress isn't lifted, just changed and today is a day for relaxation and gearing up for two more weeks of the same day over and over and over again.
This last week was just so miserable and while I am supposed to be the wife that is supportive and helpful while my husband goes through one of the hardest weeks of his life, I was the wife complaining of being sick, tired, and bored. What a sad and selfish woman I have been for the last week. Not to give myself any excuses, but pregnancy is hard! Also, I have been missing my evening pick-me-ups where I work on projects I love and read and write and reconnect with myself since bed has been more appealing. (I've been simply crashing around 6 or 7 and hopefully making it until 9 or so when there's just no going on!) I wasn't this tired while prego with Eirik. So while all waking hours are spent with Eirik and trying to keep him from banging on the study door and crying for his father, I haven't had the me time that usually keeps me chipper.
So today, we have a day where Paul has designated his time to relaxation and I have racked my brain, searched the web and nearly gone crazy trying to think of something exciting, fun and uplifting that would brighten our spirits and help us reconnect with life. Sadly, what keeps coming to mind are ... the narrows, Zions, Mt. Nebo, Park City, Galleries, Arts Festivals, hiking Immigration canyon, Barnes and Noble, The Gateway, Hobble Creek, and a million other fabulous places to explore and play in my home territory. I must be so boring, but the Tom Sawyer Caves and farmland just aren't comparable and they don't get the blood going like being home would. I sure miss my family right now. (Shout out to all of you!)
So before this long desperate post gets too sad and borring, let me say that we watched "Pursuit of Happiness" last night and there's nothing like a movie like that to help you remember just how good we have it. We are so blessed and my gratitude is keeping me going. I do love my life even in the hard times!
Saturday, May 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Yeah for finals being over!! Just know that besides boards you will NEVER have another "finals week" to endure! Enjoy the next two years------the man you married will actually return and be seen a lot more minus the stress cloud. Sorry your sick and tired, must be a girl:) Or your sick and chasing a toddler makes you tired:)
I am so glad you have your hubby back, well at least for the weekend. Sorry you do not feel well if you ever want me to watch Eirik while you sleep or throw up, or paint or whatever just let me know!
Oh Melody! I'm so sorry- I've totally been there. Last March (2006) when I was pregnant with Sophie and Bobby was in finals, Franny was sick and I had morning sickness and I have never felt so tired in my life! That was a hard finals week. You made it through, though! You need to bring Eirik over again to play with our toys so we can chat and you can take a little break.
Melody-I think I am ready to start watching Eirik once a week if we want to take a test run! Then you can sleep or paint and not feel guilty for missing any sleep. Call me and we can get the times worked out!
Melody this is so strange I totally ran into your blog!! I haven't even been doing this blog thing for more than a couple months. How are you? It's so fun running into old friends through this medium. Last I saw you I just got married to Devon Call, now I have 2 girls and live in Buffalo New York. Devon is in his last year of dental school. We just finished finals too- and still recovering. So good to see you! By the way I also keep in touch with Cammie.
How far along are you?
Have you visited these places?
Mark Twain Land
Meramec Caves
or
Abraham Lincoln's Springfield
Post a Comment