Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Motherly Inspiration!

Last night I had the good fortune to visit a woman that I randomly met at the gym one day at her home 20 minutes outside of town to learn about the book "How Smart is Your Baby?" by the Institute for Achieving Human Potential. When she told me briefly about this book when we met, it struck such a cord with me that I immediately went home and ordered it. I read it right away and thought it was awesome, yet was a bit overwhelmed and I haven't done all I can do to implement the great ideas it offers. So I took the opportunity to call her and invite myself over so that she could show me what she does with her kids. She has two brilliant, gorgeous girls 3 and 5. They both are testing at at least 2-3 years above their age level in almost all areas due to the great training that they are receiving at home. First of all, they live in this house that is just truly to die for. It is on a farm with a GORGEOUS view. They have a huge porch with bent willow rockers that look out over this vast expanse of hills and farmland. The evening was warm and the stars so bright, it was magical from the beginning. Their house is a timber frame house made of gorgeous cedar, open two stories as you walk in with wood floors, lush carpet and big windows. They have built matching "gym" equipment like bars, ladders, swings and slides that fit right into the front room fun. The whole house is created to be a place of deep inspiration and learning for kids. I was so inspired by all the posters, games, books, word cards, math cards, perfect pitch exercises, chore charts, computer programs, and toys. It was AMAZING. She gave me all kinds of materials to read and videos to watch. She made me really rethink my priorities. This is my time to be the best parent I can be to give my kids the best chance that they can have at this crazy life. I have been pretty selfish with my time lately. I just get so addicted to creating stuff. I can't stop, but i have to find a way. I have to spend more time being creative about how to teach Eirik. He can learn so fast if I repeat enough and give him opportunity. Thanks to this truly dedicated woman, I know I can do better.


4 comments:

The Posse said...

I tried to describe the place to Derek--- I'll just read him your blog. He'll get a better picture that way!

Katherine said...

Wow- sounds awesome and amazing! I think I'll check that book out. Melody- you are SUCH a great mom. Of course we can all always do better, but you are doing such a great job with Eirik.

Jill said...

I agree with Katherine you are a great mom! The proof is in the pudding :) Awesome house how creative.

*by the way I found your blog through Katherine's blog. I love it :)*

Amy Evans said...

That is really cool. You'll have to show me all the charts you make.
I need to be better too.