Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Bernese Mountain Dog

When I was 2 years old, my mom introduced me to a cute little puppy and I freaked out and would have nothing to do with him. I have felt the same way about dogs since that day on... until now. When I married Paul I knew he loved dogs, but I didn't know that life would never be complete without one... I mean two. So for every holiday since we were married, guess what Paul wants? You guessed it, only one thing, A Bernese Mountain Dog. One Christmas 2 years ago, I consented and we decided to get a dog. His family gave us a gift card to PetCo and my parents gave us a kennel. I FREAKED out and sank into a hole of misery and terror. We took those things back and I promised Paul that I would try to overcome my repulsion toward the creature called "Dog". It has taken almost 4 years of retraining my brain, but I think I am ready. The biggest factors in my change of heart have to do with two things. #1, It would make my husband so happy and give him something new to focus on since I feel that he is in a 2 dimensional rut. #2 Eirik LOVES dogs. He cries when he sees one walk by our house and he can't go pet it. When we see dogs, he yells out "doggy!" and when he gets to play with puppies, he giggles and squeals and can't get enough. It's a joy to watch. Also, my mother in law said that her dog eats all the food that Eirik's cousin Jake throws on the floor, and can I just say that any help in cleaning up the floor around Eirik's chair would be a welcome addition to life!!! So, yesterday on Paul's day off, we drove to Mexico Missouri to visit a Bernese Mountain dog breeder and we played with these DARLING little guys. I have to admit, if we are going to get a dog, Paul chose the best breed. They are truly great dogs. We are trying to decide if we should get a male or female and any advise anyone has would be greatly appreciated!! We're excited... and just look at my boys, I think this little guy would make them so happy, don't you?! (the one on the left is the stuffed Bernese that Eirik likes to sleep with.)

8 comments:

Katherine said...

I have no advice because I am a "dog-lover-in-training" myself. What a cute little puppy. I may not love dogs, but who can resist a puppy? Bobby has said he wants a Great Dane! I don't think we'll actually ever get one, but it's inevitable- someday we will get a dog. I kind of like dogs, I guess, the companionship and the way dogs kind of act like protectors to their owners, blah blah blah. I just don't like to touch them or to be licked by them. Is that bad? Is that going to make me a terrible dog-owner? Probably. Also, I hate yippy little dogs. I've always wanted one of those long-haired afghan hounds like the snooty lady is walking around in the beginning of 101 Dalmations. Those are so cool.

Ashley said...

Same here, not a dog fan. Unless they are REALLY well trained. But I can definitely appreciate a well-bred pup. I don't know if you have a choice, how can you say no to those faces? Paul has a look like 'Melody, are you going to take this happiness away? Are you?' I love that Eirik's toy looks exactly like the little guy. It's a sign.

Katherine said...

Paul is lucky to have Eirik on his side! I'm sure that will help seal the deal. :)

Emily S. said...

they both look so pitifully, "pleeeeeeeeeeeease, mommy?????" that i can't see how you could resist!!!


Um. Girl? But spayed?

I dunno.

I want a great dane too.

Jill said...

How sweet is this picture! I LOVE dogs, so I think your totally lucky that your husband wants one so badly. I had to settle for a guinea pigs instead ;)

Amy Evans said...

I couldn't even tell the one on the left wasn't a real dog until you said so.

Your boy sure do look happy.

The floor cleaning part does sound good.

The good thing is that you know Paul will play with the dog. and probably - hopefully - take care of it.
We are not going to get a dog because I know I will have to play with it, clean up after it, and feed it. - by myself-
So no amount of whimpering from Makayla will make me change my mind- at least not yet...

Paul Aanderud said...

I think getting a dog is the best option for your family and its happiness. A dog can give the love that you can't to your child and husband. Think of it as meeting their emotional needs via a shaggy hair brush that licks and pees and eats and whines....All the things you love!....I'm not making a very good case here, but I can assure you the dog will be taken care of....by Eirik, or Melody, and maybe Paul If I'm not at the hospital, or sleeping.

J.Ammon said...

I love dogs. They have the wonderful habit of becoming family members. Not like cats, they just hang out like teenagers, too cool to be seen with their parents.