Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween 2009

I just "baked" a cake for an hour with the oven off. Am I crazy or did my 3 1/2 year old turn it off for me? I know it was preheated when I put it in. I am really baffled. I just can't see Eirik turning it off. Really!? I turned off the oven when I put the cake in?? I'm so confused.
Maybe it's a Halloween mystery.
Does anyone else feel like this Halloween season has lasted Foreevveer? There are so many fun fall things to do; pumpkin patches, nature walks, pumpkin carving, pumpkin soup, Halloween decorations, Halloween library books, leaf collecting, Halloween candy and Halloween cakes and cookies and pumpkin crunch. I think I start in on Halloween a little too early. I felt this way last year too. I think 3 weeks of Halloween is my max next year. I'm a little relieved that tomorrow before I go to bed I can take down the bats and spider webs.

These are from the our Ward Halloween party. We have an awesome activities committee.
There was a spook alley for the kids and trunk or treating, a chili cook-off with prizes, and my dear, mustached pumpkin got an honorable mention at the pumpkin carving contest.

The cake ended up cooking fine and it turned out like this: A Ghost town.

it was only half gone at the end of the night because I forgot to cut it.
My witches hats however, were more accessible and were gone in moments. The boys got to be Power Rangers this year! (I got their costumes at mom2 mom sales for $2 each!) They were a great team. 2 minutes before we left for the party Eirik decided he had to be Luke Skywalker in black and was trying to shed his power ranger suit at top speed. Luckily talk of Joren being left to fight all the bad guys by himself without his power ranger team helped talk him into keeping his clothes on. He does have black spider man boots, but will he wear them with the power ranger suit? No," cowboy boots are better mom!" At least I can still dress Joren to look cool. I'm enjoying the last few weeks/ months of having Joren match and dress in the clothes I like. Eirik has been wearing the craziest things lately. Today it was Joren's church sweater vest over his inside out and backward dragon fire shirt and Joren's black sweat pants with cowboy boots. It's really hard to go out in public with him sometimes. :)

I love this picture because it has Eirik's two favorite people to play with; Johnathon and Benjamin. AND, they are all actually facing the camera all at once! Wow!
Paul and I decided to dress up as the scariest thing we could think of:
H1N1!!! Ahhh! We thought we were pretty clever.


You have to see these amazing monster hats my new friend Jena made for her kids. Are those AMAZING or what??!!


We had a fun FHE night carving pumpkins. I used to have to twist Paul's arm, but by now, he knows I'll complain enough that he might as well have fun and get carving. Check out the coral reef he made. Seriously, that's great isn't it?? Joren has been saying one phrase over and over and over and over again. It goes: "Guess what Mom? I'm not a big a dinosaur crying. Huh?" We don't really know what it means, but he says it all the time. Also, he usually makes sense but once in a while he will just jabber and jabber and every phrase ends in T-Rex. It cracks us up. He's picked up a Canadian thing too. After each phrase he says, "Huh?" or "Eh"?" He says, "Scary huh?" It's so cute. So, he got a T-rex pumpkin. Eirk gave Paul very detailed instructions about how to carve his vampire. He had to have a forked tongue. "Scary huh?"


And a few more cuties to make you smile.

Eirik picked up the "Guns" somewhere and I love it. You can't teach someone to be such a ham. That's pure talent.

6 comments:

Juliana said...

What adorable cookies! What an adorable cake! What adorable costumes! What adorable boys! What an adorable family!

Are you so ready to move on to Thanksgiving? I love this time of year!

Nashelle said...

Great costumes!! I love this time of year, too...I start celebrating everything WAY too early but it gives time to make lots of good holiday memories!

Jena said...

How did I miss those cookies and that cake? By the way, I have "cooked" way too many things with the oven off. It's a mystery.

I also LOVE the Finn that you made! That is fabulous.

Julie said...

Oh Melody, your kids are so adorable. It is so great to see how much fun you make life.

The Posse said...

Hahahaha you guys are SOO scary. Although we had H1N1 and I wasn't scared.

No, wait.

Actually, I was terrified.

Love it. Also, you get Jena?! I'm so jealous. Isn't she amazing?

Your boys are positively edible. Why aren't you here in Utah yet?!

Amy Evans said...

AS always so creative!
I love your gourd man and your cute marshmallow ghost things!