Monday, October 15, 2007

Red Barn Festival!

I had a lot of people give me the "you are crazy" look this weekend. I drove to Kirksville, MO - (supposedly a 10.5 hour drive- for some reason it took me 12!) to exhibit my paintings in a booth at the Red Barn Festival. I wanted to make this crazy trek at 7 months pregnant for a couple of reasons.
1st- I wanted to see my K-ville friends that I miss so much.
2nd- When I moved to Michigan I immediately realized that I needed something to keep me busy that would help me transition to living in a new place. Emotionally I always do better when I'm busy and creating. Red Barn was perfect because it was a close deadline, - lots of pressure- and it was almost a guaranteed success since I didn't need to invest very much money to make it happen.
3rd- I like a challenge. :)

I had a wonderful time seeing so many of my old buddies and giving/ getting lots of hugs, having lunch with old friends and renewing friendships. Going back really made it apparent to me just how wonderful it is to live in a small town and develop close friendships with so many people.
I shared the booth space with three other very talented artists who all showed great work. Debbie, Tasheena and Rachel are awesome and our work all really seemed to flow together well. The day went really well when I overlook the sopping wet setup and cold wet aftermath of the rain, and the $100 bill I lost somewhere during the day. The rest was great. I actually sold enough paintings and prints to pay for the costs of the gas and the prints and to make a tiny bit of money on the deal. I call it a success, even if I am not much richer for the experience.

A few of my pictures turned out really blury, but luckily for me, my awesome friend Emily drove up from St. Louis and photographed all of us and is sending the pics to me soon. Thank you Emily!!! You are awesome!
I'll update the pics as soon as I have them.
Thanks everyone who made this weekend so fun!



4 comments:

Pattie said...

I was glad i got to see you.. and your cute little tummy and missed the oppuntity to spend some time with you.

Tif Sweeney said...

I'm so glad to hear that all went well!! And, it looked like your booth turned out amazing again this year!! :)

Unknown said...

It was really fun to see you! I love your art! I'm so glad you came. You are a very brave, adventurous woman. I admire that!

Natalie said...

I wish I would have made it to see your booth--I loved it last year. Kirksville just isn't the same without you!