Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The House Hunting Saga

Just like so many of our K-ville friends, we are counting down the days until we pick up our moving van and drive out of town. Everything was moving along at a normal, anticipation of a big event, pace, until yesterday when we found out that the apartment that we have been counting on renting is not going to be available like we expected. We turned in our (2) 26 page notarized applications, a $70 application fee, copies of our drivers licenses, birth certificates, SS cards, our taxes from last year, a self employment affidavit and copies of our loan papers and our budget created by the school, and these people are still waiting to tell us if we are approved after a month!! We finally emailed them and asked them if we needed to send some blood samples or genetics screenings or anything. I mean, "COME ON!!". Anyway, after all of this trouble and waiting to find out for over a month, we finally got the distinct impression from an email from them that we were not going to get approved, so we have begun a frantic search to find a great place to live in the next 2 weeks. We are moving to a town that is completely depressed by Ford layoffs and everyone is trying to sell their house, but everyone wants to get so out of town that they don't want to rent. At least, if they do, it's a last resort. So, we are calling people who are selling and asking them if they would be willing to rent to us. What a pain! It would be so much better to just drive up there. Maybe I still will. That's 24 hours in the car, plus the time driving around town looking and that just doesn't sound like any fun with a baby that hates to be tied to a carseat.
Anyway, the point is, the first place just wasn't meant to be and we are sure that something great is going to land in our lap. We're just hoping we've said enough prayers and been good enough. Please oh please.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

What a nightmare! I'm so sorry. But 'COME ON', I love the Gob reference :)

rebecca said...

That really is just the worst! But I like how you are thinking :) There really is a place even better out there for you and somehow it is just going to fall right into your lap :) Good luck!!

jayne said...

What garbage. I'm so sorry. Obviously they don't want some spectactular tenants to spoil the rif-raf they currently lease too. You might make it an upscale neighborhood by your presence alone! Good luck, and I'm sure someone would love to have you take care of their digs for awhile...you will find a place better than you imagined I'm sure.

Erin said...

What a pain. I'm totally bummed the apt didn't work - we'd be around the corner from each other! But wherever you go, we'll still get together! :)

DeGooyer Family said...

I'm so sorry, Melody - you should contact some of the students out there and see if they know about anything - wish I could help!

Wilsons said...

How frustrating! If you need me to watch Eirik for you while you call places or something, let me know. I know how hard and long it takes when you have a little helper.

Jill said...

That sucks I am sorry! I bet you will find some place better :)

The Posse said...

How horrible! Good luck with your search. Maybe you shoulda taken me up on my offer, eh?