Monday, August 17, 2009

Detroit Zoo

This Saturday we ventured to the Detroit Zoo to check out the new dinosaur exhibit. It was an extra $3 per person, but it was so worth it. These giant moving dinosaurs were so cool! I was expecting to see life size statues of dinosaurs in a big building like a museum. NO, these were outside in the jungle, moving and roaring and spitting water at you!
Cool!!
At first Eirik was having a great time, and then after a while he said, "I don't' like dinosaurs anymore. This is too scary!"
Joren loved it the whole time, but kept asking me to hug him. He was so cute.







Later that afternoon, out of the blue Eirik said, "MOM!!! Do you know what is even better than a striped mongoose?!!! Grandma's and Grandpa's and Aunts and Uncles!!"

Another funny thing that happened was while we were watching the meteor shower the other day before the kids went to bed. Eirik suddenly said,
"Mom, I'm scared of the meat-eater shower!"

Joren is talking like crazy and is so physical. He seems older because he is so mobile, so fast and such a great climber. His balance is remarkable. I think he'll be really good at sports. He loves balls and loves to throw things. He is coordinated in many ways. He could sword fight as soon as he could stand up and now he is actually quite skilled. He started talking in sentences yesterday. Guess what his first sentence was? "I need a knife." Nice.
I wonder where he learned that? (Eirik sleeps with a fancy butter knife under his pillow every night. He calls it his secret knife of warriors.)

On another topic, I got new contacts this week. I haven't worn contacts for 10 years. I got to wear sunglasses at the zoo for the first time in 10 years. I'm not used to them yet and kind of hate how hard they are to wear. I guess my prescription for an astigmatism is pretty severe and if my toric lenses rotate 10 degrees it's totally blurry so every time I blink it's blurry, focused, blurry, focused, but I geuss it's better than having broken glasses or having Joren rip them off my face every 5 seconds. I know you are all on the edge of your seats, so I will keep you informed about how it goes. :)

5 comments:

Jena said...

That looks like so much fun! That is definitely on my list of things to do this summer.

Yes, I know how to make those blankets. If you would like to learn I would love to show you!

Juliana said...

I love the "Meat Eater Shower"! So adorable!! I bet you'll remember that one for years!

Congrats on the new contacts. I love mine, even though they are a bit temperamental at times. I hope they "grow on you" a bit!

Natalie said...

Love the dinasaurs. Jason sat on my lap and stared at the pictures--quite a jealous 3 year old! Also, I have the same lenses. Took me a solid year to get used to the "rotating" system but they are fantastic now. Good luck!

Melody said...

I'm glad to hear about your contacts Natalie! I hope I get used to mine before a year is up, but that does give me hope. :)

Emily S. said...

Good update... yay for dinosaur-induced snuggles!