Thursday, June 11, 2009

Kristen’s Rockin’ Mexican Salad


I finally got that recipe I promised typed up. Believe me, this is worth the effort, even if you have to drive for an hour to Costco to get the Queso Blanco.

Kristen’s Rockin’ Mexican Salad

Dressing:

1/3 c. snipped fresh cilantro

¼ c. snipped fresh marjoram- or sprinkle dry

¼ c. lime juice

2 T white wine vinegar

1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, drained and finely chopped

1 ½ tsp salt

Salad:

12 cups packaged chopped hearts of romaine or 2 head romaine lettuce coarsely shredded

4 cups shredded cooked chicken

1 small red onion - finely chopped

1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 avocado- chopped

2 plum tomatoes seeded and chopped

1 cup cooked corn

2 T snipped fresh chives

2 limes, cut into wedges

1 cube fried Queso Blanko cheese –(buy from Costco)

For dressing, whisk ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.

Arrange lettuce on a very large platter. In a large bowl combine chicken, onion, and 1/4 cup dressing. Toss to coat. Arrange chicken mixture, black beans, avocado, tomatoes, and corn in rows atop lettuce on platter. Sprinkle with chives; drizzle the remaining dressing. Serve with lime wedges. Makes 8 servings.

To make ahead: Prepare salad as directed, except toss avocado gently with 1 T lime juice to prevent browning; do not drizzle with dressing. Cover and chill salad and dressing for up to 4 hours.

2 comments:

DeGooyer Family said...

Mmmm - looks good! Hope you guys are doing well. Sorry I missed you at graduation - but I know that you had LOTS going on. =) Best wishes during intern year!!

Mary said...

I can't wait to try this!