Saturday, September 27, 2008

Where did last month go??

Well I have taken a super long blogging break. In the past five weeks we have not slept in our own beds. We have driven over 60 hours in the car with two babies, and we have drastically changed our plans and had a great time doing it all. Since Paul is in his 4th year of med school (YEAH!!) we decided to take advantage of all the out rotation opportunities and get out of Michigan while we still can. (no offense MI). Paul has his sights set on an internship spot in MI so we hope to stay put after this year for about 4 more. So we planned a month rotation in Oregon and another one in December in Utah. A month is a long time, but we love both of our families and since we live so far away they spoil us when we come to town so how could we resist? I have been waiting to blog about our trip until I can upload the jeezilion photos that I took (including the photos from my new CANNON REBEL XTi!!!! that Paul surprised me with for our 5th anniversary.) But I can't wait anymore so now you have to wait for the photos instead.
While we were in Oregon our kids got to spend tons of time with cousins. Eirik learned a lot of independence because I got myself rolled up in a big ol time consuming design project that I just can't ever say no to. I am SUCH a sucker! My sister and brother in law have this big gorgeous home and they had no furniture or decorations... so I got the wonderful job of helping them spend their money on lots of great pieces. It was so much fun and so satisfying to make something beautiful. I love how in design it's like a giant puzzle. All these hundreds of little pieces have to fit together just right to make it work. It takes so much time to move things around and around to get everything just right. Anyway, if she sends me pics when all the furniture gets there I can post some, but let me just say that it was so fun and their house is going to be Stunning! They also hired me to do a custom painting which is totally flattering. Not only will they have their house decorated by me, 5 flower arrangements I made and 5 kids paintings I gave them but a huge painting for over their fireplace. They must really like my style. :)
I also got suckered into painting a flower scene on the walls and the stairs in the stairwell into my mother and father in law's basement. This was very cool because my grandpa did this in his house so I used to go hang out in grandpa's cheery storage room stairwell that had flourescent flowers and cobblestones on the stairs. It was so sweet and always made me wish that I had had a chance to know my grandpa beter before he died when I was only 6. I'm sure I would have loved to be with him. So this painting was for my in-laws house, but it was really in memory of my Grandpa.
It was strange that while I was painting the stairwell I got a call from an old friend in MO. She wanted to know if I would be interested in painting some murals in a church in MO that she is helping build. I said yes so on the way home from Oregon we stopped at an airport to let Paul fly off to MI to work and I kept on driving to our sweet little MO town and I started painting... and painting and painting and painting .. and I have never painted so much in my whole life. I have painted 5 walls with murals so far and I have 9 more to go!!!! It feels like I will never finish right now. It's a huge project. Did I already say that?
So, that's where I am. My kids are basically in day care while I paint away for a few weeks. And they are doing great.
We miss our home and hubby/ daddy though. Today for the first time in 5 weeks Eirik said, "I want to go to Michigan!" and I felt the same way. I will paint fast Paul. And hopefully I can show some pictures and give some adorable little boy updates soon.
untill then.... ;)

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

Oh I can hear your paradoxical emotions right now! Joy and inspiration at the art and the photography and the adventure.... but ache for home and for peace and for a moment to yourself...What a tough spot to be in! Half in a great place, half not...

I'm thinking of ya.

Amy Evans said...

Melody, hang in there, it's hard being a artist and a mom! Hopefully soon the boys will have their mommy, their schedule, and their own beds back and I'm sure Eirik will start calming down again.- although he is 2 1/2:) and I'm sorry to say 3 is even harder!!!:)
I think it's awesome that you're having such wonderful opportunities to grow and paint!